Tuesday, August 3, 2010

We have been spending most evenings at our home-in-progress, doing little things that will mean alot to us later (cause our own sweat and tears went into it). Last night we were putting a coat of polyurethane on the cathedral ceiling, which is covered in coffetree wood that Gabe cut in his sawmill, planed, and tongue-in-grooved - here is a picture of his pride and joy:
Here are a few more pictures from what has been done lately at the house:

Master bedroom and bath
Exterior with fireplace

Last night while we were working on the ceiling, we had lots of visitors and helpers:) At one point Gabe's aunt and uncle, Teresa and Nelson came to check things out. Teresa and I were standing in the garage talking, and she told me a story that really made me change my perspective on things. She was telling me about a friend that traveled to Belize on a mission trip. A little boy came up to her friend and tugged on his jeans, getting his attention for a few questions he had. The little boy asked if the man was rich. The man answered that it depends on what you consider rich. Here was the boy's response:
"Do you own a car?"
The man: "yes"
"Do you own two cars?"
The man: "yes"
"Then you are rich. Is it true that people in America build houses for their cars?"
The man was speechless, not sure how to respond.

So here I am standing in my brand-new garage, embarrassed to admit some of my actions lately.

I complain because it will be another week before we can move in, while others beg God for a shelter to sleep under tonight.

I think to myself that I need to call and get another layer of rock on the driveway, while others walk miles with bare feet to get water for the day.

I write down measurements for a mattress in Max's room, while others lay on dirt floors with no covers to keep them warm or no pillows to rest their heads.

I complain about the money I have had to spend on light fixtures and bulbs, while others have never had electricity in their home.

I whine because it seems to hot to work on our deck, while others look out their windows to a view of run-down shacks, starving children, and human desperation.

I ask God to forgive me for complaining, whining, worrying, and being unappreciative. I have everything I need and more - and one day when it is time for me to leave this world, THINGS will mean NOTHING. I'm so glad my perspective has changed - from one little boy's sweet questions about America.

“I would rather be able to appreciate things I can not have than to have things I am not able to appreciate.” ~ Elbert Hubbard



9 comments:

Nicole Benjamin said...

AMAZING post Abbie! Definitely makes a person think about things, thank you for opening my eyes! On another note, your house looks beautiful! You are a very blessed woman :)

Leah Robinson said...

WOW, sooooo true!! Thank you for that humbling post!

Brittany Janae said...

Soo true, Abbie!! It's so easy to get caught up in the pleasures of this world- happens to me everyday!
Thanks for the reminder:)

Anonymous said...

Abbie, I felt the same way when I returned from Mexico, where I was building a very small two roomed home for a family, there were tons of people here at my home making it fabulous!!! I was overwhelmed with tears when I walked through the door.. i was so excited to see the changes, yet felt guilty and undeserving of what I was seeing!!! God definately knows to open your eyes when he sees we have drifted our minds! He is GOOD!

Tera said...

Wow- Can't believe how much the house has changed in two weeks! I bet Gabe is so excited about the ceiling! What you described...it's totally Juarez. The trips we've made there are definitely humbling. I remind my little girls all the time about how lucky they are...but like you said, I often forget that myself!!

Chelsa said...

i needed to hear this!!

Mandi Knepp said...

Good post abby! Always good to be reminded! sorry about this subject change.....I NEED to see your wedding pics!

Ashley said...

We have more than enough to be thankful for!! Great reminder of what we call little things may be big in someone else's eyes! I always love when you have posts like these:)

Unknown said...

This post was AMAZING Abbie Lynn. I so needed this right now. Your such an amazing person! I love the pictures of the house, cant wait to see it in person:) Love you.